Welcome to the 2014 12 Days of Holiday Cooking from Caravan-Serai Tours!
Each holiday season our friends over at Caravan-Serai offer an assortment of our favorite recipes from the Middle East, North Africa, and the Caucasus. Be sure to subscribe to our blog for updates!
Lentil Soup ~ Shourbat Abas
1 Cup brown lentils
6 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1 onion, finely chopped
1/4 up olive oil or ghee
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
a dash of pepper
croutons for garnish
- Rinse lentils and drain
- Place in a saucepan with the water over medium heat and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for half an hour
- Remove from heat; strain/mash lentil and water mixture through a vegetable strainer
- Return pureed lentil mixture to pot and cook over medium heat and stir in cumin, salt, and pepper
- Brown the chopped onion in oil or ghee, then add to the lentil mixture
- Cook the lentils and onion over medium heat for 5 minutes
- Sprinkle the soup with chopped parsley and croutons
This makes a great first course, is easy, and requires very few ingredients! It’s also great on a cold winter day. Enjoy!
Call Willamette Intl Travel at 503-224-0180 to discuss options for travel in and around the Middle East.
To read what a Sample 9-Day Tour of Jordan with Caravan-Serai would look like, click here.
Caravan Serai is a Seattle-based company that specializes in small-group escorted tours to destinations in the Middle East and North Africa such as Jordan, Turkey and Morocco. Expert guides escort guests through fun-filled and tasty itineraries, valuing comfort and safety all the while trekking across ancient paths and historical ruins.
To read more about Caravan-Serai, click here.