Happy Holidays from Caravan-Serai Tours and Willamette Intl Travel!
Each holiday season our friends over at Caravan-Serai offer an assortment of our favorite recipes from the Middle East, North Africa, and the Caucasus. Be sure to subscribe to our blog for updates!
Cucumber & Yogurt Salad ~ Salat Khyar
- 1lb cucumber
- 2lb yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbs salt
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh mint
Peel and dice the cucumbers, crush garlic with salt and mint and stir into yogurt. Add the cucumbers and mix. Serve with mint garnish.
This dish is a popular dish which can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner, as hot mezza or main course. You can add scrambled eggs, tuna, or chicken – whatever you like! “Gulayat” is the Arabic word for skillet, so the name literally translated means skillet of tomatoes.
- 1lb tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 green chili peppers
- 1 tsp salt
- Saute the pine nuts in oil until light brown, remove from oil and save as the garnish (save the oil in the skillet).
- Finely chop tomatoes and chilies
- Slice garlic and saute in the same oil until light brown, then add the tomatoes, chilies (I recommend starting with half the amount of chilies and taste the mixture after a few minutes to see if you want to add more), and salt
- Bring to a boil, and boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes
- Pour into shallow serving dish and garnish with pine nuts
Call Willamette Intl Travel at 503-224-0180 to discuss options for travel in and around the Middle East.
To read what a Sample Tour through Morcco & Tunisia would look like, click here.
Caravan Serai is a Seattle-based company that specializes in small-group escorted tours to destinations in the Middle East and North Africa such as Jordan, Turkey and Morocco. Expert guides escort guests through fun-filled and tasty itineraries, valuing comfort and safety all the while trekking across ancient paths and historical ruins.
To read more about Caravan-Serai, click here.