We at Willamette Intl Travel wanted to share a few travel tips with you, our readers and clients, for this holiday season.
Following the horrific attacks in Paris, the US Department of State has issued strong advisories to travelers. Experienced travelers already know that it’s important to stay vigilant while visiting tourist destinations. We don’t believe in halting travel out of fear—but we do believe in staying smart.
Before Your Flight
- Register your trip with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. This free service allows citizens to enroll their trip with the nearest US Embassy or Consulate. You will receive important information regarding safety conditions on your destination and help the Embassy, friends and family contact you in an emergency. Go here to enroll: https://step.state.gov/step/
- Domestic Travelers should utilize online check-in within 24 hours of departure. Most airlines allow check in 24 hours prior to a flight—be sure to go online and check in, pay any domestic baggage fees on the website, and, if you can, print your boarding pass. This can reduce wait times at the airport. Traveling with as little carry-on luggage as possible will also speed up your time at the airport.
- If you’re traveling internationally, flight records can get a bit complicated. It’s best to check in directly at the airport with the airline.
- Arrive 3 hours prior to your flight. This gives you ample time to check in your luggage, collect your boarding passes and pass through security lines.
- This holiday season, leave your presents unwrapped while they are in your luggage—whether in your carry on or checked bags.
- Update your phone contact list to include your airline, hotel, car rental, for clients of Willamette Intl Travel our emergency phone number 503-224-0180 and any other phone numbers you may need quickly.
- Fully charge your cell phone before leaving home. Keep your charger in your carry-on bag. Do not keep your cell phone with your credit card. Many iPhone cases are now including places to keep your cash and cards—however, we advice not using these, as iPhones are among the most popular items to be stolen.
- If your flight is cancelled and you are directed to a re-accommodation line, get in that line ASAP, and if Willamette Intl Travel issued your ticket, call us ASAP.
- Traveling with someone and checking luggage? Divide everyone’s items over the bags, so if 1 bag goes AWOL everyone still has clothes.
- Keep a change of clothes in your carry-on bag, with toiletries & medications.
- Dress in layers as temperature can vary in airports, aircraft cabins.
During Your Trip
- Be aware of your surroundings and people around you, especially in crowded and busy locations.
- Keep your purse or day pack on you; a cross body bag is excellent since you can pull it in front of you and anchor with your arm and hand.
- Think before setting your bag somewhere in public. Is 100% of the bag visible? Keep it in your sight. A bag under your chair can be taken behind your back.
- Traveling with others? Always have a meeting place defined before you split up in airports, cities, stores.
- Be aware of hotel scams. Do not give your credit card information over the hotel’s phone line—always go down to the front desk. Scammers often call people in hotel rooms posing as hotel staff to collect your sensitive info.
- If you misplace your room key at a hotel, don’t ask for another key. If they make a copy, the old key is still floating around and cab be used to enter your room. Ask the hotel instead to reset the lock and issue you a new set of keys.
For more Paris security news and tourist destination opening hours, check the website of the US Embassy in France: http://france.usembassy.gov/sm-11152015.html?utm_source=Paris+Perfect&utm_campaign=9bbac78234-Paris_Perfect_Newsletter_16_NOV_2015_Paris_Attacks&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e2dbac07d5-9bbac78234-159877733
Important! Our Holiday Office Hours:
November 26-29 closed for Thanksgiving weekend
December 24 closing at 2.00pm
December 25,26,27 closed for Christmas weekend.
December 31 – closing at 3.30p
January 1,2, 3 – Closed for New Year weekend.
Have an Emergency? Call 503-224-0180 and our after hours service can address your needs & connect you to one of our agents if needed.
We wish you all a good Thanksgiving.