Happy Holidays from Caravan-Serai Tours and Willamette Intl Travel!
Each holiday season our friends over at Caravan-Serai offer an assortment of our favorite recipes from the Middle East, North Africa, and the Caucasus. Be sure to subscribe to our blog for updates!
Today’s recipe: Baba Ganuj or Baba Ghanoush
2lbs (1kg) eggplants
1 large tomato
1 green pepper
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves
1 Tbs salt
1 Tbs mint
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs lemon juice
2 Tbs pomegranate molasses
- Roast the eggplant s on a baking dish in medium oven approximately one hour, or until the skin darkens and begins to split, remove from oven to cool
- When eggplants are cool enough handle, break open and scoop out the insides
- Mash the pulp with a fork until a smooth puree
- Add olive oil and lemon juice and set aside
- Finely chop tomato, pepper and onion, add them to eggplant puree and stir
- Crush garlic in a pestle with salt and stir into juice and olive oil
- Add liquid to vegetable mixture and mix well
- Stir in the mint
- Serve in a shallow bowl with garnish of tomatoes or parsley sprigs and pita bread
A variation on this recipe is to cook the eggplant on a BBQ, it will enhance the smokey flavor! Enjoy!
Call Willamette Intl Travel at 503-224-0180 to discuss options for travel in and around the Middle East.
To read what a Sample 5 Day Emirates Desert Adventure with Caravan-Serai would look like, click here.
Caravan Serai is a Seattle-based company that specializes in small-group escorted tours to destinations in the Middle East and North Africa such as Jordan, Turkey and Morocco. Expert guides escort guests through fun-filled and tasty itineraries, valuing comfort and safety all the while trekking across ancient paths and historical ruins.
To read more about Caravan-Serai, click here.