It’s the Holidays and We at Willamette Intl Travel are cozying up to the annual Caravan-Serai Recipe Book! Here’s one of our favorites from this year: Persian Jeweled Rice. Click Here for Larger Text!
Caravan-Serai is a Seattle-based tour operator that guides our clients through the Middle East and North Africa, as well as Iran, the Caucasus, and Cuba (ask your agent at WIT for the deets).
Happy Holidays from Caravan-Serai Tours and Willamette Intl Travel!
Each holiday season our friends over at Caravan-Serai offer an assortment of our favorite recipes from the Middle East, North Africa, and the Caucasus. Be sure to subscribe to our blog for updates!
Today’s recipe: Baba Ganuj or Baba Ghanoush
2lbs (1kg) eggplants
1 large tomato
1 green pepper
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves
1 Tbs salt
1 Tbs mint
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs lemon juice
2 Tbs pomegranate molasses
- Roast the eggplant s on a baking dish in medium oven approximately one hour, or until the skin darkens and begins to split, remove from oven to cool
- When eggplants are cool enough handle, break open and scoop out the insides
- Mash the pulp with a fork until a smooth puree
- Add olive oil and lemon juice and set aside
- Finely chop tomato, pepper and onion, add them to eggplant puree and stir
- Crush garlic in a pestle with salt and stir into juice and olive oil
- Add liquid to vegetable mixture and mix well
- Stir in the mint
- Serve in a shallow bowl with garnish of tomatoes or parsley sprigs and pita bread
A variation on this recipe is to cook the eggplant on a BBQ, it will enhance the smokey flavor! Enjoy!
Call Willamette Intl Travel at 503-224-0180 to discuss options for travel in and around the Middle East.
To read what a Sample 5 Day Emirates Desert Adventure with Caravan-Serai would look like, click here.
Caravan Serai is a Seattle-based company that specializes in small-group escorted tours to destinations in the Middle East and North Africa such as Jordan, Turkey and Morocco. Expert guides escort guests through fun-filled and tasty itineraries, valuing comfort and safety all the while trekking across ancient paths and historical ruins.
To read more about Caravan-Serai, click here.